Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Stitches

Not even two whole days after his 2nd birthday, Jackson needed a trip to the E.R.  He went over the handle bars of a ride-on toy at Ms. Linda's house Monday.  She called me before lunch, with Jackson wailing in the background, to tell me that she thought it needed stitches, but I needed to come see for myself. 


After a couple of hours in the E.R. and the worst experience ever, we left with two stitches.  I don't wish that on anyone.  The hospital staff chose to bind him down to a backboard so that he wouldn't fight them.  Huh.  He fought them with everything that was in him.  I don't think I have ever heard that child speak so plainly. "LEAVE ME ALONE!"  I didn't even know he knew that phrase.  I held it together until they let him go, then I lost it.  Horrible.  Before they got started, I asked if he could be sedated, but the nurse told me that "they" didn't like for kids his age to be sedated.  "They" must not have had to watch their two year old get stitches.

I took the stitches out Sunday night and Jackson never flinched.  I think he would have been much better if they hadn't strapped him down.

Next time, I'll know better.  Yes, there will be a next time, I'm sure.

No comments: